Yesterday at Orbius we upgraded from Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 to RTM.  For the most part things went pretty well.  This isn’t something we can do without a plan. We’ve been using VS2008 since May.  Our entire code base would need to migrate smoothly.  By the end of the day we were happily running VS2008 RTM! 

Things went pretty smoothly, but this was an interesting warning from the .Net Framework 3.5 installer.  It was good for a laugh and we were able to move past it.

DotNetInstallWarning

One of the guys  migrated his laptop to RTM and compiled our VS2008 solution.  There weren’t too many compiler errors, although we did have some problems with some of the LINQ code our projects.  I didn’t get all of the specifics, but I think it had to do with the fact that we use our DataContexts in a very disconnected way.  We get data, pass it around, modify it and eventually update the database using a different DataContext. Anyway, he came up with a work around.   There might have been some other problems but I figure if he didn’t mention them, they couldn’t have been too bad.  He checked the solution into SVN.

Once running the solution (web application), this was a popular message:

An item placeholder must be specified on ListView ‘membersView’. Specify an item placeholder by setting a control’s ID property to “itemPlaceholder”. The item placeholder control must also specify runat=”server”.

That is because they changed the ListView (the ListView rocks, by the way) a bit.  It used to be you could put ListView content in any old Server Control.  Now it must be within an asp:PlaceHolder. It’s an easy change, although we have lots of ListViews in our Solution.  Luckily, Matt on our team made all those changes. That’s about it.  I don’t recall too many other issues.

When I upgraded my laptop to RTM it took a while.  We followed ScottGu’s advice and completely uninstalled all Beta 2 applications and components first.  I uninstalled VS2008 Beta 2 and then followed the list of programs to uninstall (the list is in the links below).  Out of about 20 items on the list, I found about 7 that I needed to manually remove.  One catch…remember to uninstall accessories first (such as ReSharper and GhostDoc), just in case.  There were a few glitches that I wouldn’t expect.  Such as a warning to close an application that was blocking the install – only the blocking application was the installer itself!   Dean got a similar warning while installing the .Net Framework 3.5 on our server and he gave me the image from the top of this post.

Here are some links that may help:

Leave a reply

required

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>