In May I was tagged by by Pete Laudati. Well it took me a while but it is time for my response. Here are 5 things you may not know about me.
1. I’ve had a significant career change. I studied communications in college. I had big plans to get into TV or Film productions. Maybe even radio. Throughout college and a few years afterwards too, I worked as a movie theater manager. From there I moved on to Sony Pictures in NYC as a film booker and then Clearview Cinemas in NJ as a film buyer. As part of my job I got to watch a lot of movies and decide at which of our theatres they would play. This was a great job with a lot of perks. I even got to go to several movie premiers and parties in NYC. But I was always interested in computers and after many years of debate, I made my move in 2000. I took a significant pay cut but I knew that technology field was booming and I’d make the money up in a few years. Do I need to remind you what happened next? The dot-com bust. Oh well, it took me a little longer to get my salary back up but I have never regretted it. I love working in technology. My inner (ok, and outer) geek can really shine.
2. I love movies. That helped make my previous career a lot of fun. I like many different types of movies…comedies, dramas, sci-fi, action, etc. I’m not really into horror, that stuff freaks me out a bit. And I am a tough critic too. I like good character development, a solid plot and many of the other components of a quality film. Some favorites are Blazing Saddles, Stripes, Fletch, Shawshank Redemtion, the Lord of the Rings series, Star Wars and many more.
3. I play guitar. I’m not great, but I love to play and sing too. I play rhythm guitar and prefer acoustic to electric. I’ll only embarrass myself if I try to play a lead. I taught myself to play (around age 24) with the help of some friends when I was getting started. I was in a band named “Ale” for a while. We played a bunch of parties for friends. I’ve written a bunch of songs too. I enjoy that and people seem to like some of them. A few bands I like: The Beatles, REM, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Grateful Dead and much more.
4. I’m from NJ. Since I was tagged by Peter and he mentioned NJ a lot in his post, I figured I’d better do the same. The funny part is after we met we figured that we were from the same home town, Manalapan, only I was in High School a bit earlier then him. I hate when people bad mouth NJ. Sure, there are some bad parts and lots of traffic and (I’m sure) some toxic waste, and more then a few body buried in the pine barrens. But NJ has many great features too. Lots of farm land with the best tomatoes and corn, beautiful countryside, easy access to two of the best and largest cities in the country (no, not Camden and Newark) and much more. What really gets me going is when people from Philadelphia (I live in the Philly suburbs now) sit on NJ beaches and bad mouth NJ! If you don’t like it, go home!
5. I love to be out in nature. I love camping, hiking, backpacking, biking, skiing, boating, kayaking, exploring, site seeing, relaxing and a bunch of other similar stuff. My wife and I share that passion and we have had some great times together checking out great, natural places. This year we took an awesome vacation visiting several national parks
Now it is my time to tag a few people: Dani Diaz , Steve Andrews, Jeff Deville, and Jeff Caterer (sending the tag up to Canada!)